Visit at the Abbey

Guided tour of the Abbey (and of the church, when accessible) in Polish

Every hour on the hour in the winter season:

Mon–Fri: 9.15–12.00, 14.00–15.00

Saturdays: 9.00–14.00

Sundays: 14.00–15.00

In summer season:

Mon–Fri: 9.15–12.00, 14.00–17.00

Saturdays: 9.00–14.00, 16.00 – 17.00

Sundays: 14.00–17.00

  • Ticket: 7 zł

Organized group tours

– upon previous arrangement (also in foreign languages – check for availability).

We can confirm guide in foreign language one week before group arrival. Please consider possibility of translation from polish language by the pilot of the group.

Information, reservation:

Mon–Fr: 8.00–16.00

tel.: + 48 12 688 54 50, +48 12 688 54 52

e-mail: rezerwacje@jg.benedyktyni.com

Groups 10-50 Pax, on requests: the fee of 75 PLN for the guide will be charged additionally to the entrance fee.

 MUSEUM

Opening hours:

Summer season:

On weekdays: 09.00–17.00

On weekends: 10.00–18.00

Winter season: 10.00–16.00

Closed: January 1st, Easter, November 1st and December 24th and 25th

  • Normal ticket: 7 zł
  • Discount ticket: 5 zł

Permanent Exhibition

  • The underground chambers hold a permanent exhibition of Romanesque architectural details (column capitals, shafts and bases; fragments of 13th-century floor tiles from the church) and a copy of the chalice-and-paten set found in one of the earliest abbots’ graves.
  • Other objects on display include remnants of prehistoric settlements (everyday artifacts, tools, vessels) and medieval ceramic ware – found on and around the monastery hill. The position of the exhibits in the showcases reflects that of the excavation layers: the oldest finds are placed on the lowest shelves, and the newer discoveries successively on higher shelves.
  • Benedictines. The unity of Europe. An interactive presentation about the history of monasticism, Benedictine monasteries in Europe, Poland, and of course about Tyniec.
  • Combined ticket (Museum + guided tour of the Abbey): 10 zł
  • Combined discount ticket (Museum + guided tour of the Abbey): 8 zł
  • Children under 6: free of charge
  • Family ticket (Museum + guided tour of the Abbey): 25 zł

Temporary Exhibition – 80th anniversary of the Benedictines’ return to Tyniec. “Let’s raise up the ruins of the Polish Monte Cassino”

On July 30th 1939, the official transfer of the Tyniec abbey to the eleven-member fellowship of monks headed by father Karol van Oost took place. The plans of comprehensive reconstruction of the abbey were very soon interrupted by the outbreak of the Second World War. The monks survived the difficult time of the war in Tyniec and, despite obstacles, they managed to make some minor repairs and commence archaeological and architectural studies.

After the war, in 1947, the long process of raising up the ruins of the monastery’s walls has been commenced. This tremendous effort was made possible thanks to the support of many people of good will. The Benedictines were collecting the funds for the restoration by appealing to raise up the ruins of the Polish Monte Cassino.

The 1960s brought valuable discoveries in the oldest parts of the monastery. In the abbots’ graves under the chancel, a chalice with a paten, fragments of two crosiers and a leaden cross were found.

The basic reconstruction of the monastery lasted until the 1980s, and the ruins of the former library in the southern part of the hill remained unrestored until the 1990s. Not until the years 2006-2008 has this part of the complex been fully rehabilitated.

 

Taking care of cultural heritage is both a privilege and a duty. Currently, the abbey is at the halfway stage of a three-year church conservation programme. Other parts of the monastery are next on the list. Will all the works be finished for the abbey’s millennium in 2044? Is it possible for a nearly 1000-year-old monastery to be in a state that doesn’t require any repairs?

The Benedictine fathers strive to leave to their successors and next generations the priceless complex they inherited form their predecessors in the best possible state.

When looking at the archival photographs and comparing them to the current state, we can probably agree that the Benedictines did the most important thing for the preservation of the Tyniec abbey 80 years ago… THEY RETURNED.